Stay tuned, later today it will be announce that RONA
home stores have signed a deal with VANOC
to be an official sponsor of the 2010 Winter Olympics here in Vancouver and Whistler. Officials I spoke to at RONA are very excited about what this deal will mean for their employees and their brand and are already using clever little phrases like “building together for the Olympics”.
As far as I know this is the first deal of this type that has been announced, though several more are sure to follow in the coming weeks and months. The two entities signed an 8-year committment but didn’t talk about the dollar figures involved. The agreement will potentially give access to RONA to use the new Ilanaaq inukshuk logo, the symbol of the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games as well the possiblity of using the Olympic rings.
Here’s the press release…
For Immediate Release
May 4, 2005 7:30 am EDT
VANOCTM/MC announces new National Partner for the 2010 Winter Games
Montreal/Vancouver – The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) will announce a new major sponsorship agreement today with RONA in support of the 2010 Winter Games. Media conferences and photo opportunities are scheduled for Montreal and Vancouver. Montreal (Media conference, announcement and photo opportunity) 1:00 pm EDT
RONA L’entrepôt 7273, boul. Galeries D’Anjou, Anjou, Quebec
Olympic and Paralymic Athletes will join representatives of VANOC and RONA for this important Vancouver 2010 sponsorship announcement, the first in Montreal.
- Jasey-Jay Anderson: 2 Olympian in snowboarding (Nagano 1998, Salt Lake City 2002), 2005 World Champion.
- Mathieu Turcotte: Gold medallist in the relay and a Bronze medallist in the 1000 m at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Winter
Games (Short Track Speed Skating).
- Nicolas Gill: 4-time Olympian (1992, 1996, 2000, 2004) Olympic Bronze in 1992, Silver in 2000. (Judo).
- Kim St-Pierre: Team Canada goalie. Gold medal, Women’s Hockey, 2002 Olympic Winter Games.
- Todd Nicholson: Two-time Paralympic medalist in Sledge Ice Hockey, Bronze 1994 and Silver 1998.
Media Conference Live on the Web: The media conference will be available via live audio webcast. Those media wishing to participate, visit: http://events.startcast.com/events/153/B0001or call 800-564-3880. To listen to the archived version (from 3:00pm ET on May 4, 2005to May 6, 2005), please dial 1-800-408-3053, password 3151988#.Media questions can be submitted email@example.com. Name and affiliation will be required.
Vancouver (Remarks and photo opportunity) 12:00 noon PDT
RONA Home & Garden Grandview 2727 East 12th Avenue, Vancouver 12:00 noon PDT
Olympic and Paralympic athletes will join representatives of VANOC and RONA to celebrate this new relationship.
- Georgina Wheatcroft: Bronze medallist in Curling at the 2002 Salt Lake Olympic Winter Games.
- Kelly Smith: Two-time Paralympian (Athens 2004 and Sydney 2000). Silver medal in Marathon event at Athens.
- Ross MacDonald: Five-time Olympian, Silver medal in Sailing at the Athens 2004 Games. Bronze medal at the 1992 Barcelona Games.
VANOC is responsible for the planning, organizing, financing and staging of the XXI Olympic Winter Games and the X Paralympic Winter Games in 2010. The 2010 Olympic Winter Games will be staged in Vancouver and Whistler from February 12 to 28, 2010. Whistler will host the Paralympic Winter Games from March 12 to 21, 2010
RONA is the largest Canadian distributor and retailer of hardware, home renovation and gardening products. RONA operates a network of 566 franchise, affiliate and corporate stores of various sizes and formats. With approximately 22,000 employees working under its family of banners across Canada and more than 13 million square feet of retail space, the RONA store network generates $4.8 billion in annual sales.
VANOC Communications – 778.328.5003
RONA: Sylvain Morissette
National Director Corporate Communications and Public Relations
514.910.5123 Cellular phone